Monday, January 03, 2005

And then there was light.

Well, I'm on the ground in Kuwait. After 15 hours on the plane we got in around 2:00 am local time. By the time we got to the base camp it was around 5:00 am, so I went and had some breakfast and headed to my hooch with the intent of getting a few hours of sleep. I woke up eight hours later so I'll probably be up all night. Apparently the time change takes some getting used to.

The flight was actually pretty pleasant. We flew on an American Airlines 777, and I got to fly first class. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to fly coach again. The experience definitely spoiled me. Even though it was a civillian plane, it was chartered by the military and all the passengers were soldiers. It was somewhat comical to think of the strict airline safety precautions we now have and then look down the plane and see every single person with an assault rifle in their hand. We definitely were not worried about any potential high jackers. :-)

In addition to the first class experience, the crew and staff were extremely gracious. They brought in a bunch of patriotic decorations and made the plan look like a July 4th celebration. They were very kind and continually told us how much we appreciated our service. It was a good morale booster.

Apparently we had a small sand storm today. Although I slept through it I did see the results of it later. The samd here is almost like talcum powder, and after a good windstorm there is a film of it on everything. I beginning to see why tourism is not a big industry here.

God bless,
j

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John (gary here) - I can think of no better way to spend my tax dollars, than by sending you to Kuwait first class!!

I'm glad the trip over was smooth - I hope your time there goes quickly.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny U. Thanks for serving your country. Please let me know your email address and mailing address. the former is to send you a link to the Fantasy football website so you can laugh your ass off at all the articles posted this year. The latter is for care packages.

Stay Safe,
Jason Bingo
Jason_Bingo@Dell.com

8:32 AM  
Blogger Nick Bowen said...

John,

I'm pulling for you and I'll check your blog every day. I live in Charlotte NC. My blog is http://4everfree.blogspot.com/

Nick

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
Please tell me you were able to watch the UT game!!!
Hey, we are all praying for your safe and speedy return.
Love,
Joey and Michelle

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX