Monday, October 10, 2005

Shadow Run

A soldier came in tonight needing to borrow some equipment so he could get ready for a mission. It was about 2100 hrs (about 9:00 pm) and I was curious what they were getting ready to do.

"Where ya'll going?", I asked.

"Shadow run.", he replied.

A "shadow run" is when a gun team runs behind a convoy as extra security. The extra combat power gives the entire convoy added flexibility to maneuver against the enemy in the event of an attack. The practice itself is not unusual, but takes on new meaning when they are going north (north bad) and we are in the middle of Ramadan, which brings an increase in insurgent activity.

"Be safe.", I demanded.

"God, I hope so.", he unwittingly replied as he walked out the door.

We are down to the last couple months of our deployment, and I am anxious for the day when I don't have to worry about stuff like this anymore. I look forward to having a normal conversation with my coworkers, and I imgaine it going something like this:

"Hey, Gary...where you going?"

"To a meeting."

"Okay...be safe."

"Uhhhh...okay." (as I get a strange look).

Yeah...I can picture it now.

That will be a good day.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully it'll be soon.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure you wont miss that? Lot's of action you know.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow runs can be exciting- especially when you drive with no lights! Sure you dont want to go one more time? It can be arranged.

6:46 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

I'm hoping you'll be able to enjoy those more 'boring' conversations as soon as possible. As always, Godspeed.

7:14 AM  
Blogger membrain said...

Upperman, I sure do hope you get home soon safe and sound. Godspeed.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this blog is not about Megan, your little sis. But just want everyone to know she's back in the States safe and sound. One home and one more to go, hopefully soon and that the days will go by quickly for you, and for all of us, your family. Love and prayers and still so proud. Momma

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope for you my Hubby and everyone to come home safely .
I wish it were realistic.

Haha
I just pictured that in my mind...
a meeting....
Be safe.....

11:13 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I hope that day comes quickly for you. It'll take on a whole new meaning when you say that to your wife for the 1st time too. :) Be safe.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay safe and your sharing about things like this mean so much!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm also a first time reader. I found your blog through this article: http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/13737206p-14579244c.html

I hope to read here that you are home soon.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site through the same article as Carol (Sacramento Bee). Your postings are truly amazing, entertaining, heart-rending, and inspiring. Thanks for sharing your observations, both of your own experiences and of others. I especially enjoyed the Austin, TX parademic's story. May God keep you in the hollow of his hand. Maureen

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll see y'all at Floyd Casey Stadium on the 10th!!!! Yeeeah :) Keep up the good work.

~a T-patcher's wife~

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After airlifting more soldiers and Marines out of Iraq up to Landstuhl who have been beat up pretty bad (791st Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany), I can't wait for unemployment and where I can just go to meeting. But I gotta tell ya'll that once you been there and come back, life is VERY boring. Godspeed and keep your head down and your powder dry.

LTC Flight Guy
Hollywood Guard

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX