Friday, January 21, 2005

I'm going postal

It has finally arrived! I now have a mailing address!

Here it is:

John Upperman
HHC, 3-112 Armor
56th Brigade Combat Team
APOAE 09384

Now, there was an earlier address that I thought was the right address...and it was...to the other unit's address...but not to our address.

Make sense?

Bottom line: if I gave you an address before today (i.e. Dad and Amy) it had the wrong APO. So make sure you use this one.

I know a lot of you have been requesting this for quite some time, and have also asked what types of items guys would like to recieve over here. I can tell you that between charities, school organizations, churches, and other generous groups there are enough toilietries over here to stock a Super Wal Mart. Here are some suggestions based on my own experience and observations:

Lip Balm - the good stuff...I picked some up the other day and when I put it on it tasted awful

Foot powder - we're wearing boots all the time and our feet...well...'nuff said about that

DVDs - a lot of the Joes have a notebook, or a portable DVD player to pass the time when its not busy. If you have some laying around that you don't want anymore someone here will appreciate it.

Music - Just send anything you don't listen to anymore. Regardless of the genre, someone here will appreciate it. I even found a guy listening to Barry Manilow the other day. Kinda diminishes the image of a steely-eyed killer...but each to his own

Scooby Snacks - any kind of candy, or munchies. Keep in mind that it will be traveling half way around the world. You'll need to be even more selective once the weather starts to warm up.

Books & Magazines - again...anything you've got laying around that you don't want anymore (nothing inappropriate please)

Beyond the above, just use your imagination and send something you would like to have if you were in a desolate, third-world country for a year. :-)

Rick M. - I would have you send that boat over here, but quite frankly, there ain't a whole lot of water over here. So just put a cover on it and we'll take it for a spin when I get back.

TTFN
j

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your funny daddy. It's Jess, i told Mr. Starr and the others in my class that you were near the city of Ur ( feel like i'm re-taking phonix) and they all thought that was really neat, Mr. Starr wanted to see some pics. Anyway, I love you and miss you a ton. See you soon.
Love,
Baby Girl

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW ME ..I'm thrilled to have a mailing address so you start to get some tangible surprises to enjoy. About that magazine we gave you for Christmas, well they tell me it will take 6-8 months to get it "started" to you over there so I will be sending something in place of that subscription. We are so proud of your efforts and sharing this blog address with all who might enjoy first hand accounts of the "flavor" over there. Keep your ears tuned at mail call..a big love pkg.will be on the way. Love,Ps.91

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW ME ..I'm thrilled to have a mailing address so you start to get some tangible surprises to enjoy. About that magazine we gave you for Christmas, well they tell me it will take 6-8 months to get it "started" to you over there so I will be sending something in place of that subscription. We are so proud of your efforts and sharing this blog address with all who might enjoy first hand accounts of the "flavor" over there. Keep your ears tuned at mail call..a big love pkg.will be on the way. Love,Ps.91

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny:
Just checking in and now that a mailing address exists keep you eyes open for something that will be in route shortly. Got hit with a blizzard over the weekend and got about 20 inches of snow--"isn't that special"....

Just thinking about you and hope all is well.

Bob Hajek

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Expect care packages soon! Or however long it takes to get there! God bless you-praying for you and the troops daily. Take care!
Love, Lil sis Mol

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

Its great to hear your experiences in Iraq. I start each morning with your Web log and take pride in calling you my friend. I've got a few 'fun' things to add to your care package and would like to continue to hear from you on anything else that you need. Hope that DJ is working well for you. Stay safe and keep posting!

Ketan

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I finally got your blog address from Amy and wanted to say Hello and that I have got my entire family praying for you and your troops. I just read through all of your posts and WOW - what an amazing journey God has you on right now. Thank you for your sacrifice - it is an honor to be friends with someone doing something so selfless. We are working on the stock price at Dell and hopefully Fortunes article about HPQ will add some fuel to our stock and you can have the boat waiting for you when you get back! Stay safe!

Kelly & Clint Bridges (neighbors)

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy, it's Jess again. Mrs. Lindsey (mi espanol profesora, Tee-Hee!) wanted me to tell you that she and her husband and church and all of her friends are praying for you, and the other soldiers. Guess what?!?! i have 4 A's and 2 B's at school!!!
I will see you soon!
Love,
Baby Girl

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Mr.Upperman this is luke koke and i am saying hello. I hope that during the iraqi elections that you will be safe and guard those ballot posts well. So i am passing all of my classes finally and i got to play in my basketball game. (which is a miracle). Cant wait to see you when you return to texas. So finally me and jessica are friends again. Well nice chatting with you hope to see you soon.

see ya,
lokey kokey aka-(luke koke)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX