Friday, July 01, 2005

Wounded Warriors


There have been almost 13,000 service members wounded in action during the war in Iraq. The thought of this may make some of you grimace, but there is actuallly a good side to this story. One of the reasons this number is so large is because of the military's improved ability to treat wounded on the battlefield. New technologies such as coagulants (a chemical that causes the blood to clot more quickly) and improved battlefield tourniquets are giving injured soldiers the precious, extra few minutes they need to get to a crtical care facility. Whereas in the past, many of these wounded would have been fatalaties.

Of course, because of this increased survivability many of these men and women will carry their scars and wounds with them for the rest of there lives, and they will be forever changed due to lost limbs or eyesight. While tragic, there are also stories of inspiration as some of these wounded soliders tackle this new adversity head on with no remorse and no regrets. While no one would blame them for feeling self-pity, they do just the opposite and show us all the true heroes that they are. You can read some of these stories at the Wounded Warrior Project. This is an organization that has dedicated itself to helping these brave men and women assimilate to their new way of life.

I truly admire these people who have given so much of themselves and continue to be an inspiration. I wanted to share this project with as many people as possible, and ask that you contribute to their cause. Many of you have asked what you can do to help soldiers in need. I can think of no better way to spend your resources than helping people like these. Get the word out by sending this to as many people as you know, and let's lend a helping hand to some true American heroes.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John: Thanks for pointing out the Wounded Warrior Project. They came to my attention from a comic strip (Doonesbury) last year, I contributed and tried to hook the AZ Diamondbacks (baseball team) up with them on their backpack project. Thanks for reminding us of the great things being done by medical personnel there.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July, John! Hope you can enjoy the day and have NO fireworks! Thanks for all that you and your people do. We appreciate you!

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks SO much for this information. Isn't it funny? I'm an anysoldier supporter. I just posted to another website asking if anyone knew how to help the injured soldiers. Then I come over here and TA DA!
Have a SAFE 4th of July and thanks for your service.
Suellen

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just yesterday I saw a Young man in town with I guess his famliy at the local Market. He was moving from his wheel chair to the car,,,,,at any other time I would not have wondered how a person might have lost a limb etc.But all of this has really brought a whole new meaning to this 4th of july, I am 33, and never saw the effects of Vietam or anything,,only the movies out of the 80s,,but now I think more about those things.

I also get a mixed felling, what do I do?,,,If that person was a soldier, I would like to some how show some support, but I dont want to also bring up something odd, nor do I want to make a person who wasnt a soldier feel bad because I was looking to say thanks or something to a soldier and not them.

what do I do?

and John said "coagulant
',,,there was no anti in front of it.....

Jason

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

First off Jason, thanks for correcting Brian H. on coagulant.
Second, thanks for the moment on the injured soldiers and the website, I had just received the same groups name on a different email.
And lastly, THANKS so much John and all of your fellow soldiers for doing this enormous job in Irag and all over the world. I as an AMERICAN am humbled and very THANKFUL for you all.
Even when I awake in the middle of the night when I just roll over in my sleep I send up a pray for all of you.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, Just got back from Michigan and got to spend time with Amy and the kids. They are such wonderful bright young kids and are very excited about your trip back home. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I look forward to seeing you in Michigan in the years to come!!!!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX