Wednesday, June 22, 2005

We're losing?

I ususally try to stay above the fray when it comes to voicing my opinions of the ongoing rehtoric about the war in Iraq. But I can't be silent after reading this article which quotes Senator Chuck Hagel (R-NE) as saying "that we're losing in Iraq."

Excuse me?! By which criteria are you making this assertion, Senator? As of this morning I have heard nothing from my chain of command indicating that we have lost the will to fight, have failed to hold key locations, or are on the verge of withdrawl or surrender. At least one of these criteria would have to be met in order for us to be "losing" here in Iraq. To the contrary, we continue to capture or kill insurgents daily through audacious, offensive operations. The Iraqi people have elected a government of their choosing for the first time in half a century, and I personally have talked to many Iraqis who are elated and have a new found hope because of the changes they are seeing in their country.

I did some reseearch on Seantor Hagel and learned that he is a Vietnam Veteran and earned two Purple Hearts as an Infantry Squad Leader. I am extremely grateful for his service, but I am also extremly dissapointed since he, above most, should be keenly aware of the impact of such statements. Is he entitled to his opinion? Absolutely! But he had better make darn sure he has his facts straight when making such bold statements. Otherwise it only appears that he is trying to draw attention to himself just like any other self-serving politician.

You can visit the Senator's web site here.

6 Comments:

Blogger membrain said...

Yeah I saw Hagel's comments and the only thing I could think of was it's politics. He's setting himself up for the elections in 18 months. It is disapointing though coming from a veteran who should know better.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad you spoke up, someone has to. What a way to show how much America values its servicemen to the world. We pray for you and your family daily.I know they are excited to see you in a few weeks.
Thank you so much,
Ashlynn

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
--Harriet Beecher Stowe

2:28 PM  
Blogger pebblepie said...

Just more hyperbole.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've written nothing concrete to demonstrate otherwise.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The person who left the comment above me is a skank!

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX