Thursday, June 02, 2005

Time Remaining

I know some of my friends at Dell are really going to appreciate the spreadsheet below, but unfortunately I can't take credit it for it. Apparently some staff officer somewhere had too much time on his hands and put together this tool that calculates how much time you have left on your deployment.


Based on my arrival date of 5 January, and assuming I have exactly 365 days of "boots on ground" I have completed 41% of my time here. As of this writing I have to still have to complete the following milestones:
  • 7.2 months
  • 31 weeks
  • 216.06 days
  • 5,202 hours
  • 311,148 minutes
  • 18,668,050.44 seconds

I usually try not to dwell on how much time I have left and just focus on one day at a time. But now that I only have two months before my R&R leave I find myself thinking about it more often. I've got five months under my belt and at the end of July I'll get to spend two glorious weeks with my family. I can hardly wait.

I'll be on the road for the next few days, so this will probably be my last blog until I get back.

Until then,

j

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm sure Amy could've given you those details! LOL For what it's worth, during school it was easier to think "3 more Mondays" versus "15 more days!" Maybe that will help! :)
Take care,
Shelly

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your efforts, you and your troops are sincerely appreciated by all true Americans. May God continue to Bless your efforts, our family prays foryour and yours daily!!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R&R is so important I'm sure you are counting the days until you are with your family again ;o)

I enjoy your site and have linked you on mine....Http://www.xanga.com/luvthewaves

I pray for all of you over there...including my Hubby
Be careful out there

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminded me of my shipmates and their "Short-timers" chain. they get a chain of 365 beads, and cut on eoff ech day until their EAOS. Then on the last day they toss them in the air as a sort of celebratory gesture.

Take care, enjoy your R&R.

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, Aunt Maidi could not have shared a more special quote that exemplifies truly what an American is. Thank you for being an "American Extraordinaire”. Just take one day at a time, that way the whole tour will seem shorter. Their will be a reunion with your family and loved ones before you realize it. Time truly has a way of passing by quickly if you live for the day. All our love, prayers, and thoughts are with you and your family on a daily basis.
Love Uncle Jim

11:46 AM  
Blogger jaibone said...

You can't sy you're short until you have 30 days left in country.... I remember the feeling of counting it down, especially when it was my time to become a civilian again.

Glad to keep getting the improtan stuff from you. Oh, I sent a link to your blog to Oprah... I think you're the perfect person to talk about this war when your time in Iraq is done!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX