Saturday, August 20, 2005

A matter of perspective

I'm back.

The time at home was everything I hoped it would be and less. No, that is not a typo. One of my fears before going home was that the time would be filled with a flurry of activities and it would all go by so fast that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as I counted down the days. I also feared that after being gone for so long that I wouldn't fit in...that I would feel like a stranger in my own home. That was not the case at all.

We purposed ourselves not to get "stressed out" by trying to do too much. This was not a contest to see how much we could cram into two weeks. It was an opportunity for me to recharge my batteries and spend time with my family. The time went by at a pleasant pace and I soaked in every moment. Nothing was too little to appreciate.

There are so many things I could talk about, but something as simple as watching my three year old son get into the kitchen pantry and pick out his "bweakfust" was amazing and amusing to me. My biggest daily task, above anything else, was to tell my wife how beautiful she is and how much I love her, and to hug each one of my kids. When friends had us over for dinner or took us out to eat I made it a point to tell them how much I appreciate their friendship (I don't think I've ever done that before). I made it a point to talk with my neighbors and not be in such a hurry to get back into the house.

Those are the things I remember the most. It's not the trip to Sea World...it's the laughter while you're there and seeing the amazement in a little boy's face. It's not the dining out, it's the conversation you share. This deployment has taught me that it's the little things in life that make it worth living.

It's all just a matter of perspective.

j

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The little things....you're right. Can't believe that Aaron and Seth are starting kindergarten this year. But just as you've said, we're trying not to get caught up in the whirlwind of passing time....rather the joys that each passing day brings. Next time home it's for good!! God bless!! -Charles

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for all you do. I check your blog often and you and your family are always in my prayers. Everyone at Tunes2Troops wishes you the very best.
http://groups.msn.com/Tunes2Troops

Take care,
Melissa/Tigerbee92

7:52 PM  
Blogger Lana said...

I am a random reader. I am interested in what is going on in Iraq and I just wanted to thank you for being there and the sacrifices you have made.

It is so refreshing to read something positive about Iraq instead of all the liberal stuff on the news that paints the ugliest picture ever without hope. May God bless you and protect you and keep up the good work.
Thank You

2:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Selfishly, I'm glad to hear that you're safely back to your home away from home. That means you're blogging again. But we will all rejoice with you when you're HOME to stay.

Suellen

7:29 PM  
Blogger NannyKaren said...

The Little things Mean so much...
You and your family are In my prayers.
-Karen

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your time home. I was thrilled to run into you. (I still haven't blogged about it!) When I got back in the van, I told the kids who you were. We hade just rented (again) "The Pacifier" w/Vin Diesel in it. Either I or the kids menntioned that you were a soldier, like the guy in the movie. Then my 5 yr. old piped up and said, "Well, his voice isn't as commanding as Shane's." I told her it was because you didn't have to be while you were standing in a parking lot talking, but I'm sure you could be commanding when you needed to be. :)

You're family will remain in my prayers.

Lexie (who can't remember her password!)

9:31 PM  
Blogger membrain said...

Just a note to say how glad I am that you enjoyed your leave. I hope your batteries are recharged. Godspeed.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, am glad you enjoyed your leave... have to admit I've missed your blogging, tho. Hope all goes well for your remaining time. Thanks again for all you do. God bless & keep you!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Nancy French said...

Hey! SO glad you had a relaxing time, and once again... thanks for the reminders.

NJ

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for serving our country - I am so thankful for men and women like you. I loved reading about your home-coming and your family there to meet you. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing a very special time. May God protect you from all harm and may his angels be on guard 24/7. I live in Fort Worth and know how blessed we are to have soldiers like yourself serving our country.
many blessings,

Marilyn

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right when you say it's the little things.
I am glad you and family had this time together....I know how much it means....I am looking forward to my Hubby's R&R soon.
Thank You for writing this blog...it gives ppl a chance to see a differnt side of this war.
Kel

10:33 PM  
Blogger Maggie Goff said...

I'm so happy that your leave time was so good for you and your family. Thank you again for your service, and thanks to your wife and kids also!!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so nice to see you at home with your family. We appreciate, and honor you and your family's sacrifice every day. Thank you.

God's speed, and blessings.
---The Eastins

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX