Thursday, February 03, 2005

Nu Shooz

Here is some good news from the front. This is the kind of stuff you'll never see on the evening news, but is more indicative of what is really going on over here on a day-to-day basis.

Our medical platoon went on a mission the other day to provide basic medical care for the local bedouin community. Additonally, they brought some donated shoes for the children, which for these kids is a rarity. Most of the time you see them running around in bare feet, and contrary to popular belief it does get pretty cool here in the winter (lows in the 40's). So you know their little tootsies have to get cold.

Below are some pictures that were taken that day:

This little boy was so thrilled with his new shoes that you couldn't have pried them away with a crowbar. Again, notice that he is wearing a hat and jacket but nothing on his feet.


Nu Shooz

I love this picture. At one point the little boy above had wandered off on his own, and was about 100 meters away from the rest of the group. One of the medics went to him, and they walked back hand-in-hand. If a typical picture is worth a thousand words, then I think this one is worth ten thousand.


Friends

I like this one just because I think its funny. The is our medcial platoon sergeant, and I think he and the camel really hit it off.


Do I know you?

I realize that some of my recent posts have been kind of "heavy" so I wanted to share something on the lighter side. I didn't intend to bring everyone down, but I do want this blog to be an honest depiction of my life while I'm here...both good and bad.

I sincerely appreciate the continual words of support and prayer from all of you. It truly is a morale booster, and I can feel God's sustainment. Things are going well here and the days are passing quickly.

The quicker the better since with each passing day I am one step closer to home.


John

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, good or bad, we want to hear what you are going through. THank you for being so honest. We love you, Carol.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, I sent an example of your blog to some friends at church. Their Dad is an enlisted man but has internet so this will help them communicate with their family and friends and get much needed encouragement. From the picture I see you are performing Hebrews 11:32-35 Through faith, conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, whose weakness was turned to strength, and became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. The Riddick's love you and we think of you and pray for you often. John

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I see you took Clint's advice and you were not in this pic with the camel :)! Those pics are amazing and to see that little boy who has to be about the same age as Luke and Zachary clutching shoes of all things (items our children take for granted) really moves me. How awesome is it that God has brought these momments of true joy to this little child.

You, Amy and the kiddos are in our daily prayers and thoughts. Stay safe.

The Bridges (Clint and Kelly)

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just this morning in U.S.History class we studied about the 19th amendment which by 1919 gave all women throughout the U.S. the right to vote. I asked my students if they realized that the women of Iraq were just now (2005) experiencing the freedom to vote, something we take for granted to the extent that we may not even exercise our right on a local election. They cannot begin to grasp the way of life in Iraq therefore I am sharing some of your info and pics with them to try to broaden their horizons. I really feel privileged to have this first hand "report" Thank you for taking your time to keep in touch with more than you may realize. remember, we luv u. Ps.91

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CPT U;
My wife just sent me this link. I met you @ Ft. Polk (the first trip). I'm next door @ Bde HQ. It's great to see comments from so many of our mutual friends.

Your BIC;
MSG Paul Collins

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Upperman I would like to thank you for all you do! Don't worry about Jen we Keep her in line! :) just kidding!! You and your family are in my thoughts and pryers. I can't begin to fathom how you have sacrificed yourself for those you don't even know!

Grateful'
Ashlynn Blessing

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John- Just wanted you to know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We look forward to reading your updates. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Take care and stay safe. Love you, Joan and Justus

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Austin, TX